Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tire Upgrade - Check!

Getting all the parts where they need to be.
The new wheels were delivered to my home. I wanted to see them and be able to ship them back if there was a problem. The wheels are a slightly different color than stock. I specifically asked originalwheels.com if they matched the stock color, they said yes, they were wrong. It is very close. There might be a future wheel painting project to get these wheels all the same color.

The tires were shipped directly to the shop so I had to get the wheels to the shop. With the wheels carefully packed into the passenger seat off I went.
I had four new tires installed on two new (to me) wheels and an alignment.
The new tires look like this.

The grooves in the middle of the tire are huge.
I left the shop during a strong rain. The tires are new and won't reach maximum traction for many miles but I had no trouble in the rain.

I shouldn't have been surprised at how much quieter these tires are than the snow tires - but I was. My high expectations have been met - so far.

A note about noise in an M Roadster.
These are not quiet cars. The dual exhaust is made to be heard. In 98 the top did not have a head liner so there is nothing but a layer of cloth between your head and rushing wind. Even smooth running tires won't make this car what most people would call quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment